Background

Friday, April 29, 2011

que gostoso!

Many moons ago while serving my mission in Brasil I fell in love with this little, round, cheesy, balls of goodness called "Pao de Queijo". My favorite part of the afternoon was walking past a bakery right as these were baking. Yummy! After coming home I tried to make them for my family from a mix, yucky. And failed at finding the recipe. Last week I was looking through the "Our Best Bites" blog and realized one of the girls served in my same mission. And then realized she had some wonderful Brasilian recipies! 

You must make these! 



Quick Brazilian Cheese Rolls {Pao de Queijo} – Gluten-Free!
Recipe by Our Best Bites

1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup tapioca flour (sometimes labeled tapioca starch) no substitutions
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 C grated cheddar cheese (preferably medium or sharp)
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place egg, milk, oil, tapioca flour, and salt in blender and blend until smooth.  Add cheeses and pulse 2 times.  Immediately pour batter into a mini muffin tin (if your muffin tin isn’t non-stick, spray lightly with non-stick spray first), filling each well about 3/4 full, or just slightly less.  If desired (and I recommend), sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on top and/or a tiny sprinkle of kosher salt.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden.  Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before removing rolls from pan.  Serve warm.  

These actually don’t re-heat well so I recommend making and eating fresh.

Yield: anywhere from 16-24 rolls, depending on how full you fill your muffin pan. I fill  mine pretty full (a good 3/4 full) and I generally get about 16-18.  

I found the tapioca flour in the gluten-free section of Dan's. Look around it could be there or by the baking ingredients. I also made them in a regular muffin tin, which works just as well if you don't have a mini tin.

Enjoy!

No comments: